Saturday, November 15, 2008

Wi Nou Kapab!

Yes We Can!

Tonight I went to a great event at Coral Gables Congregational Church. It was a fundraising event for 3 Miami organizations that help development in Haiti. The night was very well done! I was so impressed.

There were hundreds of people packed into the church. In the middle of the room was a silent auction with loads of wonderful treats: Haitian artwork, Miami Heat tickets, surfing lessons, signed sports paraphernalia, books, and lots more! The outside of the room was beautiful lined with tables of Haitian food, wine, and crafts for sale. The night was classy and Haitian.

After people mingled and enjoyed the beautiful essence of Haitian art and culture we heard different speakers. I was just elated to hear other people's hearts for Haiti.

One man, a local newscaster, went to Haiti on an assignment to cover the events taking place last year commented by saying something I find so true. He said, "You do not find Haiti. Haiti finds you." And, I feel that. Haiti is like a beautiful virus...it gets inside of you and just takes over your core.

I just could not stop smiling while listening to the various stories about people who love Jesus and who love Haiti. Another man said, "The two best things my parents instilled in me are a love for Jesus and a love for Haiti." He grew up with missionary parents who raised him to Haiti during his childhood.
I am leaving for Haiti one week from this Wednesday.
I cannot wait to see my friends and family in Haiti.
I cannot wait for the wonderful mambaa (Haitian peanut butter).
I am anxious for the Haitian pop music that blares from the local dance club.
I am anticipating the stench of burnt garbage that you smell in the afternoon.

Tonight reminded me once again of this deep connection I feel to Haiti. I told someone a few weeks ago that I loved Haiti. He did not believe that was possible. He thought that you could love the people, or you could love the culture of Haiti, but that loving Haiti was impossible. He said the country has so much pollution and strife and corruption. And, I thought about his question for a moment. I thought, "I do love the people, and I do love the culture, but I also love the country."

And, I do think there is hope in Haiti. Tonight, we were saying "Wi Nou Kapab!" This means, "Yes we can!" If we take dedication, intelligence, patience, and a lot of faith, I do think Christians can make a difference in Haiti. And, I hope to be a part of that difference.

Lyrics I'm Humming:
Songs of Freedom by Bob Marley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me a second, but Wi Nou Kapab is similar to the french: Oui Nous Pouvons!!! You're right, they're pretty analogous languages!

Anonymous said...

Oh Megan, I'm so proud of you! I saw the new James Bond movie and some of it takes place in Port au Prince. I haven't been able to get Haiti out of my mind since. I definitely miss the mambaa as well!