Friday, November 14, 2008

After School Growing

(The "easy button." I let my students press it after they finished something really hard! After you press it, a funny voice comes on that says, "That was easy!" They love it.)

So, after school my classroom has been full of students.

I tutor 4th graders from other teacher's classrooms with reading, writing, and homework help.

I also have my gifted students in my classroom working on projects on the computer.

I've been working on typing skills with them and basic Microsoft Office knowledge.

My classroom is often graced by some of my former 3rd graders as well! Whew!

It's a pretty lively room until 5:00 every day. : )

Well, today we were all in my classroom. One of my students came in and asked me if he could just stay in my room for a while and read. Oh my. Yes! Of course you can read in my room!

So, there I stood. 6 students experiencing Powerpoint for the first time, one little girl practicing her reading skills, and a little boy snuggled in my comfty chair reading Matilda. I stood there and started to cry. I don't know what it was about the moment, but I was just so moved by all of the learning and exploring happening in my room.
I was witnessing actual growth, and it was beautiful.

My students and I were both growing together. : )

I am so glad that my room is a safe place where students WANT to be.

I think if that is all I accomplish this year,

I will be satisfied.

My students have found a place

to learn and grow and take healthy risks!

I love it.


Lyrics I'm Humming:
Bright Eyes "The First Day of My Life"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan, I am so proud of you and what you are doing. You do make a difference! Love, Dad

Brandon Barker said...

Looks like a fun group of girls.