Some people hear the word and think of positive words: love, peace, compassion, generosity, freedom, unity.
Some people hear the word and think of negative words: judgemental, close-minded, war, tension, rigid, rules.
Either way, it is a minority that hears the word religion and doesn't have any immediate reaction.
Now, I think that is interesting. Even the word carries a reaction.
I've studied and been around people from many different religions and methods of life. Not everyone subsrcribes to a religion; some people claim a method of life like reason or individualism or personal growth.
I like to think that God is bigger than religion. If God is truth, then God can be found in many religions. Yes, I said that. I've been reading a very engaging book that has got me thinking even more about who claims truth. Is truth something that a certain people-group, or cultural religious group can claim?
Christianity of the West's claim of truth is not the same as Christianity of the East or Christianity of Ancient Times. We so often think that our version of Christianity is the only way one could find God or find Truth. I believe that if God is Truth then anywhere we find Truth we find God.
I think this expands our views of other people and our world. I think it makes us less rigid and more willing to enter conversations...to jump on trampolines.
Please leave your thoughts on Western Christianity's claim of the True God. I would LOVE to hear what you think!
Lyrics I'm Humming:
Viv Glorya Viv
1 comment:
I agree with what you said about there being more than one method to find truth, that is, God...but it troubles me to see people who genuinely believe they have found truth...when they haven't. But who is to say what truth is? I mean, if you believe you've found truth, who is to tell you otherwise?
Post a Comment