Thursday, November 06, 2008

God is Big

Tonight, I met with my wonderful Miami friends for a Bible/book study. It is so refreshing to be in a conversation with Christians who are real, who are vulnerable, who are intentional. I adore these people.

I have been really struggling with specific relationships in my life. I am trying to reconcile so many things right now, and it is so amazing to know that God is BIG.

No really, God is bigger than me....
bigger than my dreams and goals...
bigger than our language...
bigger than he/she....
bigger than the Bible.
God is not the Bible.
God is bigger than words.

I've been very convicted lately to move from "worshiping" the Bible, prayer, writing, and meditation to worshiping God. Focusing on God in the midst of life, instead of focusing on the Bible. Now, the Bible expresses God and the Bible is an anthology of narratives revealing God. However, God is bigger than I can even imagine. And, I am finding comfort and peace resting in the magnitude of Elohim (the creator).

So often I focus on the details and the small aspects of God that I forgot to see the big picture. Now, I believe that God resides in the details and that God is God of the small things. But, I have been longing for a fresh perspective of my creator.

At a workshop last week, we took Proscrope (a digital microscope) pictures of objects. See if you can guess what the below objects are!

Can you guess what I am?


Can you see the bigger picture??
--
Without stepping back to see God, sometimes I get caught up in the bricks.
I get caught up in the bricks that hold my stubborn view of God.
--
Rob Bell in Velvet Elvis talks of a trampoline instead of a brick wall. I want to be a trampoline that invites people into the conversation of God. I do not want to be a rigid brick wall, where if one brick comes out of place the entire wall falls. The trampoline represents a relationship and a journey of jumping and exploring the God-life.
--
I am striving this week to look at God with new eyes.
To look at him/her with humility and reverence.
God of the flowers and God of the nations and God of the heavens loves me.
Beautiful.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
The Air I Breathe
First Picture: Dunkin Donuts Cup
Second Picture: My dark jeans

No comments: