Friday, November 07, 2008

Don't Be A Lummox!

Beautiful Day!

Today was a wonderful day with my students. My students were super fun today. We were all working together, they were working hard, and they were making mistakes and fixing them! It's so great to see students taking academic risks in the classroom and pushing past their challenges. I also met with 3 parents and loved hearing their stories!

My students have a big day tomorrow...the have a spelling/vocabulary test with SAT words like lummox, amenable, and tumultuous. I've been really trying to push them past their limits! They also must recite a poem called "Do It Now!" It's my mother's anthem. : ) The poem tells us not to put things up and to do whatever you plan to do NOW! It's great for my kids to have the repetition of working with a sense of urgency.

The animal stills resides in my AC unit...urg...The smell is going away though because I haven't been using my AC at all. This means that my students are complaining of a stuffy, hot classroom. Sorry students! It's better than a dead animal stentch. Hopefully by Monday the smell won't be as bad. I don't even want to think about what that animal must look like inside the vent.

It's exciting how much I enjoy my students right now. I look forward to seeing them, and I look forward to trying new ways to challenge them.

If you have any great ideas for
creative reading in the classroom,
please let me know!

And, look up "lummox" if you don't know what it means. Fun word!

Lyrics I'm Humming:
Regina Spektor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are tumultuous times so I would be amenable to acting like a lummox from time to time to entertain myself and distract me from the ups and downs of the stock market!

Anonymous said...

I love Regina!!! Samson is one of my favorites. And you know what? I had a great idea for your kids the other day...but I cannot think of it now! So, I'll work on that and let you know if I figure it out :) I love you!