Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Veteran's Day

I had such a delightful day! There was no school because of Veteran's Day.

So, I used the day to study for my GRE test and long-term plan for my gifted class.

I met a good friend at Jamba Juice for a nice work-day break. Alicia's working at a school in Little Haiti as an administrative assistant. We just hung out and chatted about life, family, Miami, work...

I am really enjoying living in Miami. It was such a beautiful day today! A nice breeze, afternoon rain, warm evening. This city has such an interesting vibe to it. Driving in Miami, you can pass though Cuban, Haitian, Brazilian, celebrity, European, Jewish, African-American, Bahamian, hipster, and Peruvian neighborhoods, schools, restaurants, shops... I love the diversity and the unique feelings of each community. I think it is one of my favorite aspects of this city.

I find all of the juxtopositions in Miami fascinating. You can be in a million $$ neighborhood, cross water, and enter a housing-project. I have really enjoyed being exposed to a new city and a new group of people.

The more I'm in Miami, the more comfortable I get. And, the more comfortable I get, the more I realize just how interconnected this city is. While driving today, I found lots of "shortcuts." Now, I'm sure these aren't shortcuts to people who know Miami, but for me, I loved seeing just how close these seemingly different neighborhoods are!

Just getting to know my city!


Lyrics I'm Humming:
It's A Small World

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post!! hey...haven't you had that song in your head before?!?! I'm getting real excited to come visit you. You'll have to show me all these "shortcuts" :)