Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I heart the Alps

Grenoble: City in the Alps. Getaway for so many French!

Erin and I found lots of retreat here in this wonderful town last weekend! Erin's dad had business in Grenoble, so we took a TGV train down and met him there.
Immediately after getting off the train, Erin's dad had a hike all planned for us! It was awesome! Let me preface this hike by saying that Erin's dad is a Naval Pilot...hmmm.... interesting...

Well, we hiked like crazy! We probably hiked over 10 miles! We were up in the mountains and saw some of the most beautiful sights! We ended up on this off-the-path hike, where we were climbing all over these huge boulders and rocks! It was out of control! I felt like a real Alps Woman!



At one point in our hike, we somehow ended up in a flock of sheep! There was a herd coming through! Oh my! It was awesome! There was this little man with a stick herding the sheep into the pen! I couldn't believe one little man in a wool sweater could control thousands of sheep and goats! It was awesome!

You know the common phrase, "chillin in a sea of sheep"*...well that's what we were doing! : )

All day Saturday we hiked...It was so peaceful and wonderful to see such a huge sky. I will say though...my legs and rump area were hurtin...

Sunday, we hung out around the city of Grenoble. We first took these crazy "bubbles" up to a huge fortress on the side of a mountain, called the Bastille. It was such a spectacular view! The Bastille was awesome! It was so neat to think of all the soldiers who were up there!

After the Bastille, we found ourselves stuck in a deluge!** We then ran through the rain to the Dauphinois Museum...which was an old Nun's Convent. The museum was gorgeous.

After that, we went to the Bishop's Palace and saw some sweet old Roman ruins! The Ancient Romans were really into the whole Baptism stuff! They had a huge building made just to house baptisms. We got to see the ruins were actual Romans walked! The Palace was attached to the Baptism Building. It was awesome seeing all the history and beauty!




The hotel Erin and I stayed at was awesome! It was so modern and the bathroom was so cool! The shower was crazy sweet!

We went to this awesome Bretagne Restaurant one night for dinner...and I swear the entire room became silent the second Erin, her dad, or I opened my mouth! It was hilarious!

The weekend was awesome. It was so nice to relax and see some nature! I'm back in Paris now and I still enjoying this city life!








*And by "common phrase"...I mean, I just made that up...
**Totally massive flood! (Lots of rain!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Megan!

I am so glad that you're having an awesome time! I LOVE the picture of you on the edge with the Alps in the background. In fact, it is currently my computer's background image! I loff you!

Goofus

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the sheep. All trying to vy for position.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what fun! I am glad you got to experience such a beutiful place. -Mom