Monday, September 19, 2005

even at the ballet, He stole the show


Les Etoiles du XXIE Siecle was the title.
Translation: Stars of the 21st Century.
Ballet was the matter of entertainment.

Erin and I watched some of the most prestigious, spectacular dancers from all over the world dance their hearts out at the Champs-Elysees Theater. All of the dances were Pas De Deux, and were amazing. There were traditional dances, modern dances, African dances, and even some comedy dances. What held the night together was the cavalier level of ballet performed by each ballerina.

While watching the ballet, so many thoughts raced through my mind. It is crazy to think that just watching mere movements could evoke such thought.

The ballet stole so many emotions from me: there was, of course, smiling, crying, laughing...and more deeply, I even felt some bliss, grief, determination, love, confidence, and joy.

My favorite dance was performed by two amazing ballerinas from Munich.* The dance was entitled, La Prisionere. Translation: The Prisioner (in feminine form). The dance commenced with a girl alone in her bedroom, sleeping and living her normal life. Suddenly, a man comes onto the stage and rescues the girl from her hum-drum life. They dance a beautiful, modern dance. Each dancer complemented the other one so well, and at times, I felt as if they were one ballerina. The dance was one of celebration, new beginnins, and optimism. At times the girl appeared to be the star of the dance, and she would dance like crazy all over the stage.
But, it was always the guy who made her look wonderful. By the end of the dance, it was the man who stood tall as the star of the dance...and it was clear to the audience that he was, indeed, the star.

While watching this 10 minutes of dance, I couldn't help but see the parallel between the dance and my relationship with Christ. I feel just like that girl. Jesus and I are dancing this beautiful dance of my life, and it was only because of Him that I sometimes appear the star. But, in reality, I do nothing. Without Him, there is no show. Without Him, I am just laying lifelessly in my bedroom. To the audience, for a moment, it appears that I am the wonderful dancer, but, it is a lie.

Truth be told...I am a worthless dancer. Jesus, gratiously, allows me to receive some praise and admiration by the audience, but it really is His show.

The dance ended and I smiled. Bliss. Love. Confidence...Joy.



*See couple bowing in picture above.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts make me smile a lot. I love it when we see God in unexpected places!~~Stacy

Anonymous said...

This could be my most favorite post from you yet. Reason #1: I love ballets. Reason #2: That is an amazing illustration. I love how you always seek God when you're faced with something beautiful. Reason #3: This illustration reminds me of something about a prarie dog in south dakota...

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there with you, Megan---I know I would have felt the same say you did, but I wouldn't be able to express myself as beautifully as you have!

Anonymous said...

Wow Megan. You are incredible at describing what you see, feel and think. You must have got this ability from your mom, not me! Dad

Anonymous said...

6:00 AM?? Are you up yet? I bet not! Anonym

Anonymous said...

Do the people who read this blog know that you have a birthday coming up soon and that you will be 21??? Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Megan!

I just got on here for a few minutes to see some of the things you're getting to experience. I'm so excited for you, but also glad to know you'll be back next semester! We're working on Rush right now, and I'm so excited for that and for pledging. Have an amazing time over there...I know the LORD is blessing you and will show you so much!! You are missed! ~Nicki

Anonymous said...

How was your birthday, Mme Megan? How did you celebrate? Was it fabulous? We got your post card.....thanks...Know that your Aunt Sally and Uncle K love you so much....We are moving to WDM this month (finally). It only took years to accomplish! We can't wait to see you in Dec. Love, Sally and Kim in IOWA