
One of my favorite things Jesus said was in Matthew 25 when he talked about he or she who helps the "least of these" is actually helping Jesus. If you give to the hungry, love the little children, spend time with the elderly...you are in reality feeding Jesus, loving Jesus, and giving yourself to Him.

(Kingston is in the blue shirt. This is Kingston, Dominique, Michelson, and I at the beach yesterday. Kingston paid for me, Mathilde, and Makendy to get in and he paid for us to eat...)
But, I see that verse in a much deeper light now. Kingston, one of the most beautiful Christian men I've ever met, explained to me a simple concept: Sharing Life. He sees following Jesus as living a life of sharing. He shares everything he has.
(Emilio's dad cutting me a piece of sugar cane with a huge smile on his face. He finds so much joy in sharing his food with us.)
Life is about sharing time.
Life is about sharing stories with each other.
Life is about sharing food.
Live is about sharing things.
Life is about sharing love.
Life is about sharing laughs.

If you have excess of something, you should always share it. Kingston has taught me so much of what it means to be generous. His humility and generosity have blown me away this summer.
And, I see so much joy in sharing. If everyone just shares what he or she has, what a beautiful world that would be.
I feel that it is so important to share lives with each other. I grow so much from others' advice and others' experiences. Kingston has shared with me his story and his life, and I shared with him my story and my life. And, in a very beautiful fashion, we were both able to connect and grow together.
My mom and dad always taught me, Allie, and Kelly the importance of a "tennis-match" conversation. This is the type of conversation where you share something, the other person shares something, and then you ask questions,a dn the other person asks questions. It's just like a tennis-match. And, that is sharing conversation. One sided conversation is so selfish and ungenerous.
Generosity is maybe the one quality I want to strive for most in my life. What an amazing compliment to have someone tell you that you are a generous person.
I have seen so much generosity here in Haiti.
And, I have seen so much sharing.

(Emilio's mom with a beautiful smile on her face. I gave her one of the bookmarks that Grandma and I made...and, she wore it as a necklace. And, she loves it! It's so beautiful on her! She's always sharing food, water, life, smiles, and comfort with me and Mathilde whenever we visit her in Destra)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sharing my hat with a beautiful little boy in Destra.
Emilio's mom sharing her home, food, and water with me and Mathilde every time we come to Destra.
Kingston sharing his money with me and everyone around him who asks for help.
Sharing laughs with the kids in the house.
My guitar string broke, and Kingston took my guitar, bought me all new strings, and restrung my entire guitar. That is sharing money, time, and love.
Sharing money and food when someone asks you.
Sharing medicine with a friend who is suffering with serious toothaches.
Giving your time to someone else. For me, giving time is one of the most beautiful ways to share.
So, when Jesus talks about giving to the "least of these"...this is so much deeper than merely giving...it is a matter of sharing and being generous. Jesus gave when people needed something, and he also gave when people wanted something. Jesus gave with a servant heart, not making others feel guilty for His gift.
But, at the same time, I am realizing that sharing with others is hard. It is so hard to share your things with others...it is hard to share your time and energy with others. It is tiring to always share an open ear with someone in need. And, that is where God comes in. I am constantly in desperate need of God to strengthen me. I am so weak on my own.
Prayers are deeply needed for me and Mathilde's safety to the Port-au-Prince airport. Tuesday, August 1 from 6am to 10:45isham we'll be going on the journey to the airport. And, prayers are also needed for the many goodbyes I'm having to say. Pray for my goodbye with Makendy, especially. He has noone in his life who unconditionally loves him. I feel like I've given him that this summer...but, what am I doing? I'm leaving him. Everyone leaves Makendy. I hate this. Please pray for my energy and strength these last few days. Thank you all.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
This is the air I breathe...I'm desperate for You...
2 comments:
Megan-
What great pictures and so nice to see you in a picture!!!!
I love reading your blog and you absolutely will be in our prayers on your journey home. Be safe! We love you lots and can not wait to know that you are back safely!
Love
Debbie and Christine
Megan,
your messages have taught me so much this summer! I glad you had this experience. I'm sure it's bittersweet for you to be leaving soon. I think it's amazing how many lives you've touched! I'm praying for your safe trip home and can't wait to see you!
Love ya!
Adrian:)
Post a Comment