

I've screamed at God.
I've cried because of the sadness in Leogane.
I've felt community in Destra.
I've felt love from Makendy.
I've felt lonliness.
I've missed my family.
I've laughed.
I've felt free! At Destra, I ran up and down the beach as fast as I could.
I've felt trapped. I can never find a place to be alone.
I am alone.
But, I can never be alone.
Kedjen's face up close and personal. Man, that girl makes me laugh!
However, I've been trying to hard to find humor and laughter. And, I've definitely found it.
I met a group of guys who have given me so much laughter these past few weeks! Here's just a few things that we've done together!
~The guys are so colorful! They run a club called Funny Summer. It's a summer-school for youth ages 15-25, where they teach English and French. But, they do it in such a fun way! Mathilde and I have been twice to the club, and both times we've ended up teaching! There are over 150 people who come, and it is so beautiful how much they love learning. Everyone looks at us with wide, bright eyes adn is just excited to hear what we have to say. Funny Summer is the vision of the group of guys I've been hanging out with. They want to change the mentality of the youth in Leogane, adn I think they're doing a great job.
~The guys are Kingston (a guy who sings Reggae sooo well!), Mr. X, Dali, Wisley, and Daniel. They all speak really slang, funny English. And, conversation is so real. They're not asking for money. They're not asking for my contact information. They're not talking about my skin pigment. They are just friends interested in Me.
~Kingston, Mr. X., and Dali work at a radio station in Leogane. And, yesterday Mr. X was in Port-au-Prince getting a Visa...so, Mathilde and I were on the radio! We were on from 2:00pm-4:00pm and it was hilarious! I had no idea what to talk about!!
~They all call me Rapp. Super fun!
~Kingston, Dali, Makendy, Mathilde and I went to a dance/singing performance Friday night. We got in for free, because Dali works for the radio and we were with him! : ) It was awesome watching all the dances! Haitians can definitely entertain!
~Kingston, Dali, Mr. X, and Daniel bought me and Mathilde and Makendy cokes at Au Bon Cafe the other night. It was so nice to have someone treat me to something!
~Kingston is one of the neatest people I've ever met. I don't think I've ever met anyone like him. Last night, Kingston, Mathilde and I were at Au Bon Cafe talking for hours. He is such an incredible servant of God. He has visions and ideas for Haiti, and he is working so hard for the youth in Leogane. He uses Funny Summer and his radio station to reach out to the community. I'm just blown away with him and his humility.
I had a really intense moment Sunday night. I was bawling, screeming, and incredibly sad. The misery in Haiti was just to much for me to handle. I needed a hug from God/. I needed to know that He loved me. I needed him to say Good Job...Keep Going. I was in desparate need of Him. I wanted him to move my right foot in front of my left foot so I could keep walking.
And, Monday and today, God hugged me. He hugged me so tight that I couldn't not see his love.
~I got encouraging messages from my friends on Facebook, email, and Blog comments.
~Kingston told me thank you for my hardwork at Ma Petite Ecole.
~The stars were incredible last night.
~Sunday night, it was kind of cool in my room and I didn't wake up sweating.
~The kids were calm in school yesterday and today.
I can't believe I have only two weeks left here. I am just starting to feel community and I am just starting to understand these beautiful people I see daily.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
I Will Survive

8 comments:
Oh Megan----how I love to read your blogs! They make ME sad, happy, hopeful, depressed, wondering, asking,wishing, frightened------it's all so surreal----I just can't imagine life there, but you describe it so beautifully. I go to bed every night and try to think of just what it's like for you in Haiti. I just can't even begin to understand all that! Please be safe---be careful---be alert---be
happy---we are counting the days until you will be home. Soon we will be counting the hours and then the minutes! We all love you lots!!!!!!
The little girl in the picture is beautiful!!!!! So are the other pictures on your blog.
Grandma
I am praying for you. Keep the updates coming! Just for the record, Jon Kalvig is now on staff to replace Brandon Mick. I guess some day you will be working for me, too!
Brandon
Love you Meg......you are so terrific. I know it will be hard for you to leave but we are anxious for you to come home
Mom
Megan-
Can not believe you will be back in two weeks...we are so excited for your safe return and to hear all about your adventure. I admire you so for what you have done and how much you have given of yourself...you are not the typically college student and you should be very proud of your efforts and sacrifices.
Life goes on much as usual here although the fighting in the world can be unsettling...we just seem so removed! Christine is having a great summer and we are not ready for it to end. She is such an eager learner and brings so much joy to my life, as I know you do to your parents...we are so amazed at what are children can do and how much they open our eyes to the world around us and you have exemplified that for all! We love you lots and pray for your safe return to Iowa!
Lots of love-
Debbie and Christine
Megan, I love love love reading your blogs and I am so eager to hear all about the trip when you get back the good, the bad, the frustrating, and the amazing! My friend I am praying for you and I think about you often. ~Stacy
Megan
I am packing up for Ragbrai. Allie got home from Tulsa. Kelly got home from camp. Mom and I are just home. I miss you and am counting the days. 11. I sent key fobs to you via overnight to Brooklyn. I sent a box with a bunch of soccer stuff via regular UPS to Brooklyn too. She should get that early next week.
Love Lots,
Dad
Megan,
I am sending you encouragement again today.....This is my second POST--I think my first one was too far at the botton. Oh well...I get so "into" your blog that I lose track of where I am reading!
You are an amazing young woman and I admire your careful insights and observsations of the people of Haiti. You are MAKING A DIFFERENCE as you sacrifice and serve these people of Haiti. I LOVE your spiritual depth and you have been an inspiration, personally, for me in our consumer driven world.
Today in church Pastor Quintin shared how to have pure and simple faith today through just "doing what HE wants you to do" and to realize HIS influence in your daily life. You are sharing of yourself and your faith. You are doing that! I am counting the days until you are home Aug 1 and will ask our prayer chain to pray for your safety.
Again this verse.....I Peter 5:7 Cast all your cares on God for HE cares for you. Your dad once shared that with me when I needed it and I share it now with you.
Love you SO MUCH, Aunt Sally
SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!!
I am so happy to hear that indeed there exist people in Haiti who care for improvement like you do! That is awesome! I am so glad you got to meet them! You're almost home!! (I better get my college stuff out of your room then)
Post a Comment