Saturday, July 15, 2006

Kingdom Living

Images of Light



The soft light setting behind the south sea of Haiti in Destra. Jaime is the boy on the right with the huge stick steering the fishing boat.



The light barely touching Makendy's family's boat.

So, for Phi Lamb, we are sending out a summer newsletter to all the girls...and I thought I'd share with you what I wrote for it...So here goes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t think I ever understood fully the meaning of darkness before living in Haiti for almost 3 months. I understood “dark”…but not “darkness.” Darkness is when night after night you see the color black after the sun is gone. Sometimes you can’t tell if your eyes are open or closed. And, if you’re lucky…sometimes if the moon is bright enough you can see your hand in front of your face.


Well…the house I’m living in has a generator that sometimes works for about an hour at night. It’s always a surprise when it turns on…but, when it’s on we cheer with excitement because now we can see.


I’ve been reading the Good News of Jesus and every time it speaks of light I pay attention. Jesus truly is our light. I’ve seen the simple beauty of this concept before but I’ve never actually grasped the magnificent necessity of Jesus, the Light. It’s so essential to have light.

Without it, I take showers in the blackness with cockroaches brushing against my feet…Without it, I loose a contract because I accidentally missed my case and by the morning the contact was dried up.

The most amazing thing I find about light is that you really don’t need a lot of it to erase the darkness. Just one small candle can change a loud blackness to a soft light. Jesus tells Christians we are the light of the world.

“You can’t blame the darkness for being dark…
but, you can blame the light for not shining on the darkness.”


However, I see in myself a huge fault of pride. And, I humbly realize…I’m not Jesus’ only light. There are servants all over the world showing the light of Jesus. I’m learning to have more humility, less pride, and to empower and encourage other Christians who are living Kingdom lives.


…I have an amazing father who constantly tries to make moral business decisions to show others Jesus…

...I have a beautiful friend who is dedicating her summer to growing and challenging the faith of a bunch of youth…

...I met a down-to-earth woman who lives in the mountains of southern Haiti showing God’s compassion as a nurse in an orphanage…

God’s light is shining all over the world.
So many people are dedicating their daily lives to spreading the flame.
And…illuminating darkness…that is Kingdom living.

~Grace and Joy~
Megan

Lyrics I'm Humming:

This is the Air I Breathe...I'm Desperate For You.

6 comments:

Megan said...

Thank you all so much for your amazing comments. I started crying (again) in the internet place. I can't even tell you how much comfort and support I find from your words. And, knowing that people are praying for me gives me so much strength. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

And you are finding that darkness can be a friend and can be an enemy and can be peaceful and can be frightening--it depends so much on where we are in our journey of life and we find that Jesusu IS our light in darkness and in light and we put our trust in Him and we pray that He shows us the way, be it in darkness or in light.We pray for you daily---hourly--and ask that you be kept alert and creative and task oriented and that you are appreciated wherever you may be, and above all else, safe. And we might just throw in a prayer asking that the generator works more often.
Love you lots and lots----
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Megan, this is my favorite post so far. Vey keen observations and I agree totally. Our world is very complicated yet so simple! And it is hubling ot know that God knows about every situation. Keep safe.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Megan, you are certainly one small candle but, you are growing brighter every day! Love, Dad.

PS I'm counting the days until you get home. I can't wait to see you and hear more about your experience.

Anonymous said...

Megan-
Such a different existence there! We are all learning so much through your experience but I ditto the others...we will be so glad when you are home safely!

Love ya-
Debbie and Christine

Anonymous said...

I've always associated light and dark with the "good" and "bad" guys of movies. The light always prevails, and that is how we see Jesus. You have a room of dark and a room of light. Put them together, and what do you get...LIGHT!!! It ALWAYS wins!! I love comparing to Jesus to light, because is always gives me so much hope. That is what light means to me...hope. Miss you so much.