Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Yesterday

"Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. She is my chosen one, and I am pleased with her. I have put my spirit upon her."

~Isaiah 42:1~


Yesterday was an interesting day. And, by interesting I mean good, bad, ugly, beautiful, hard, and rewarding.

We (Mathilde and I) woke up around 7:00 am to the sound of the rooster outside our window. I was exhausted and needed some strong coffee to get me going.

Good: I turned my quote book to find Isaiah 42:1 smiling back at me (above verse)

Frustrating: Around 8:00 am, I went down to breakfast to find (once again) nothing on the table for us. The concept of being on time for school does not really exist here in Leogane. The school starts at 9:00am, and noone makes it on time. So, Mathilde and I waited and finally at 9:15am we find breakfast...no coffee, but a big plate of spaghetti. I'm still exhausted.


Tiring: The kids were out of control yesterday. I feel more like a babysitter sometimes than a teacher. We have about 20 3yr olds...and about 20 kids who can somewhat write (5-12 yr olds). It's an incredibly hard group to control because of the diverse ages and levels, the summer fever, and the lack of help from the other teachers. Mathilde and I sweat like crazy at school...we are running...we are somewhat yelling...we are running out of ideas...we are frustrated.

Sad: Yesterday, 3 of the teachers sat around while Mathilde was teaching and talked about her and laughed. No...they didn't help control the wild 3 yr olds...No, they didn't offer to help. They laughed at her.

Exhausting: Once again, someone came up to me and asked me if there was something wrong with my nose...what kind of question is that? I asked her if there was something wrong with her nose...Then we both just awkwardly stared at each other.

Relieving: After class, Mathilde and I went up to our room to cry and laugh and vent and cry some more. It's so frustrating sometimes.

Disappointing: While up in our room, I fell asleep...Mathilde overheard a conversation about me and her. They were talking about how Mathilde and I always want coffee in the morning. Man, I am seriously not having a good day.

Adventurous: Azure (who works at the Filariosis House) came to pick me and Mathilde up to show us the house adn their project in Leogane. The house was funded by Bill and Melinda Gates and is incredibly out of place. It's a huge white mansion next to the impoverished market. It's an incredly ironic view. I definitely felt the American Exceptionalism/ City of a Hill concept standing in the house.
Sad: On the walk back from the Filarisis house, there was a group of guys who started yelling...and by yelling, I mean screaming...at me in English... "WHITE! WHITE! ARE YOU STUPID!!? WHITE!!? STUPID!!!" I just kept walking and ignored them...but, it just hurts to have a people group you adore so much sometimes show so much anger towards you. And, I know these guys were just bored and weren't being directly mean at me. But, it still hurts my feelings when someone screams racist things at me while I'm walking down the street.
Thought-provoking: So, Mathilde and I ate dinner/lunch at 4:00pm...It was fish. Now, the fish here is very funky tasting...so on fish days Mathilde and I just eat a little bit...because after meals of fish...let's just say Mathilde, me and the bathroom become pretty good friends... Well...at dinner/lunch. I was just feeling really down about the whole day. Am I making any difference here? What am I doing? How can you ever feel at home in a place that daily reminds you that you are not at home. Me and God spent some time together after dinner...I just cried and prayed...And, I fell asleep with God. For the first time, I actually worshiped God through rest. Wow. What a beautiful concept.
Uplifting: So, I eventually woke up and read Isaiah 42: 1 again.
"Look at my servant, whom I strengthen. She is my chosen one, and I am pleased with her. I have put my spirit upon her."
Well, after 6:00pm, God definitely strengthed me. And, I was in much need of some serious strenghening. I mean, I really needed a good solid workout strengthening every single muscle.
Funny: Makendy, John, Mathilde, and I all ended up on the upper balcony. John was playing a drum and Makendy was singing. And, for about an hour we just sang and laughed and danced. I just kept thinking about how much I love this crazy Haitian boy, Makendy. He has such a beautiful energy to him. And, John is such an incredibly servant-hearted person. He is a Christian and he is always so excited to talk about Bondye (God in Creole). I just laughed and wanted to cry because it was such a beautiful hour.
Relaxing: Our friend, Stesha, who just left this morning for the USA. (She worked at the St Croix hospital for about 6 weeks here in Leogane) came over to the house adn we all went over to Au Bon Cafe to have our favorite drink!!! Lait Fouetee! These are wonderful! Whipped milk with strawberries! Ronald (a security guard at the hospital), Gesley (a dance instructor in Leogane), Stesha, Mathilde, Makendy, John, me, and the workers of Au Bon Cafe all hung out for the next few hours. We laughed and told jokes. John brought in a radio and we all ended up dancing Compa! Compa is the Haitian dance! It was such a nice treat from such a frustrating day.
About midnight, we went to bed. I can't believe all the emotions that I felt today.
But, looking back at my days here in Leogane, that is often how the days have been. God gives me a challenge, I barely survive it, He saves me, I cry, I laugh, and then He gives me something to think about.
Man, God is so good.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
If I Could Just Sit With You a While

9 comments:

brandon said...

Megan,

Sorry I haven't commented in a while. Life is insane. Abbey and I move to Chicago on Saturday. But know this, we are praying for you.

God bless you Miss Megan.

brandon mick

Anonymous said...

Hey meg,
Hang in there. I am sure you are making a differece in some small way.
I love you and am anxious for you to come home! Only a little more than two weeks.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Megan,
Craig and I have been reading your blog over the last several weeks and you have been an inspiration to both of us. There are things you are doing there that we are too afraid to even think of doing. I admire your drive to do this, so just remember that there is a purpose to what you are doing, even if it seems like it's only a small thing. Maybe you only think that you effect one person, probably more, but in God's eyes even the one lost sheep is worth all of your effort. You are facing some difficult situations, we're praying for you, you will find the way and the answers you need. Tomorrow is a new day, with a clean slate. We can't wait to see you when you get home!
Love,
Elizabeth and Craig

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I was talking with Sherry about your blog and both of us commented on your beautiful spirit. You never cease to amaze us how you always find the beauty, the good, God's glory and goodness in every situation you are in, no matter how bleak it may seem.

Just a word to share from Francis Chan, a speaker from Challenge last week while looking at Jeremiah 1: "You were crafted for God's specific purpose, His masterpiece. You were made uniquely for a certain purpose that NO ONE else can do. Even your imperfections were ordained by God." So, don't lose hope, you are doing exactly what God has created you for.

We look forward to your homecoming, as we all miss you very much! But we are in constant prayer for your ministry in Haiti and are overjoyed with how God is using you.
See you soon!
Lots of Love,
Heather L.

Anonymous said...

Megan, what can I say that has not already been said. I hope you will write some sort book about your experiences in Haiti-----your blogs will be a good starting point. It must be very frustrating to have to experience the "downers" you do when you are such an "upper" and are so devoted to what you are doing in Haiti. We all look forward to your return and the inspiraton you will be to those of us who haven't shown the committment to God and his plans tha you have.Be safe,be strong, and be home soon!!!!
I love you lots----Grandma

Anonymous said...

Mom said it best. "Hang in there." Your faith and perserverance continue to amaze me. I hope that knowing so many people are praying for you softens the hurt from the down moments. You will make a difference. Maybe it will be with Makendy or Mathilde or maybe with the kids you are teaching or with the teachers. They are watching you and taking note of how you react. They will see Jesus in you. I love you lots and can't wait to see you again.
Love, Dad

P.S. Mom picked up your contacts from Wallmart.

Anonymous said...

Megan-
Wow! What a day! We will be so glad when you are home but know this has been such a learning and helping experience for you, as well as for the kids you are teaching! I am glad you have some good support from your friends there as I am sure you can feel quite alone at times. You are always in our prayers!

Ali is playing Nanny to Christine this week and we are so enjoying her. She said she talked with you last week.

We love you lots!
Debbie and Christine

Anonymous said...

megan.

your never ending spirit and joy always amazes me. i can't even put into words how proud i am to have you as my friend. God is smiling down upon you, megan, and i love it that you are so in tune with Him right now.

keep being amazing and i will keep praying for you. i love you i love you i love you!

(p.s. jake and i passed the "prarie area" sign the other day and thought of you!)

Anonymous said...

This post reminded me of Third Day's song, Mountain of God, when they sing, "I must go through the valley, to stand upon the mountain of God." I love the lyrics of this song as they say we must go through hard times to reach the top, which is exactly what you are doing. Oh yeah, and what Molly said about the Prairie Area signs... everytime I pass those signs, I hear your low-toned voice saying "prairie area" over and over!