Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Walk Slowly...

I really think the Beach Boys got it right when they said "We'll get their faster if we take it slow..."

I have found myself walking so slowly here. As many of my friends can easily voach for me...I walk incredibly fast. I don't really know why...I guess I'm just in such a hurry to get where I'm going.

...I'm in a hurry to get where I'm going...

How true is that for so many areas of my life. I seem to always be doing something with the intention of a certain outcome...Why did I want good grades in high-school? To get into a good college. Why did I want to get into a good college? To get a good job. Why did I want a good job? To get money. And...the pattern continues. I so often feel that I don't actually live my life because I so often live in the future. How many days have I said to myself..."If only I can make in through Wednesday...As soon as the weekend is here...I can't wait for finals to end..." My mind is constantly on a future goal.

I'm walking fast toward my destination.

I'm walking so fast that I miss the journey.

In the poor man's Gospel of Luke, Luke focuses almost half of the book on Jesus' journey to Jerusalem! Almost half of the story of Jesus in Luke is about Jesus walking. And, Jesus walks slow. The journey begins out with a man asking Jesus how to get into the Kingdom of Heaven, and Jesus gives him an answer. However, at the end of the journey, Jesus is asked the exact same question and gives a completely different answer. What is so important about this journey that altered Jesus' response. Is the walk sometimes more important than the final destination?

Well, I walk slowly here in Haiti. Everyone walks slowly. Neighbors stop to talk to one another. People on the streets are in no hurry to get to work, or school, or wherever they're going.

There is a woman named Linda who lives in the house behind the house I'm staying in. She is so beautiful. She does everything so slowly, and she does it with so much attention. She's married to a man named Emilio, who I've grown to adore so much. Emilio and Linda took me to church one Sunday, and Linda was so kind to me. She sang so loudly and her voice was so nazal! But, it was beautiful.

At night, I often walk over to Emilio an dLinda's house with my guitar, and we sit outside under the stars and the black sky singing praises to God (Bondye in Creole...which translated means "Good God"., What a beautiful name to call God) Emilio plays such beautiful songs, and Linda and I hold a songbook and we just sing our hearts out. Then Emilio passes me the guitar, and (Ally, Brandon and Jake you'd be so proud of me!!) I actaully play some pretty decent worship songs! I wrote a few new verses to some of the songs I've really found Christ in... We'll sit out there until my fingers are burning, Linda's voice is hoarse...Emilio laughs because of how easily me and Linda get tired! Haha. But, the point is that we play music slowly...we play fast songs...but, somehow it still feels slow. Noone is in a hurry to leave. There is no "one hour" timelimit on worship. There are no parents impatiently waiting to pick up their kid. We just sing and play.

Emilio plays a traditionjal Haitian style of music called the Kopa. He taught me, and I'm decent ("pas fort" in Creole) at it. But, Emilio is so patient with me, and so happy to teach me a part of his culture.

The pace here is so different. It feels so different. I feel as if days are so much longer, and I feel like life feels longer here. Time flies when I'm in the US. I can't believe I've just finished my third year incollege...I feel like just last year I was a sophomore in high school, nervous about going to the real Valley High School! I feel as if I've been in Haiti for 3 months. I feel as if the people in the house are family.

The lifestyle is such a beautiful image of Jesus' life. He focuses on people. He cared about hearts; he loved people's souls.

Oh, Lord, please have mercy on me. I mess up so much, and I know I disappoint you. I adore your grace. And, I thank You so much for using comments on a blog to inspire , challenge, and encourage me. You are so Good.

Lyrics I'm Humming:
Kokamo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan!
Today the Hurley's had their baby, and I took their kids down to see them, and I got to hold Thomas only an hour old! That was amazing! All day I've been thinking about God's amazing blessings, and how many more we get to enjoy when we slow down. Saturday night I had my car window broken and a sentimental briefcase (it was a gift from Nate's grandparents for graduation) was stolen. I was sad that this happened to me, but then I was sad for the person that felt they needed to steal. Getting to hold baby Thomas today was a wonderful reminder that there are truly more importants things than materials, it's the memories and touching other's hearts. You are doing a fantastic job at focusing on people and really making an effort to learn, encourage and be inspired by others!
Happy Singing!
Love ya!
Adrian :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the slower pace and maybe bring some of it back here with you. If you can, check out the HSM blog, there are pictures and blogs of the group up at Rosebud. You're in my prayers. I hope God continues to reveal more of Himself to you through this amazing experience.

Heather

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,
You have come to realize a wonderful thing early in your life. It has taken me many more years to see it-----yes, we ARE always looking forward to something, and we don't take time to enjoy the NOW. It's great to have things to look forward TO, but it is a true waste of precious time if we don't take time for the NOW!!!! Sometimes the NOW is wonderful and we want it to last forever, and sometimes the NOW is very painful and we want it to end RIGHT NOW!!! Like today, when I had a call telling me that my beautiful,kind, loving friend had died in Az.----she was 94, but I wanted her to live forever and I want to get past the NOW right now!!!!! Make sense????? So, good for you to enjoy the moment---look forward, but don't let today pass you by!!!!!! I DO look forward to your return---we ALL do---but we must see today for what it is and tomorrow and...........
I love you lots and lots---you are a very special young lady!!!!!!!
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan,
You have left me with some things to think about today. What a treasure you are to our family. I am so incredibly proud of the things you are learning but most importantly about your desire to focus on God and people and not on yourself. I wish I was there to meet your friends and Hatian family. They sound very hospitable and nice to be around. I am praying for you daily.
Love you lots and lots,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Megan Rapp, you pretty much make smile a whole lot. Just reading your post is a blessing. I am praying for you my friend. I am praying that God would continue to reveal more of himself to you.
Stacy