Well, racism is definitely present here in Haiti. When people see me sitting on the porch in the house, the reactions I get are very interesting. But, the fact of the matter is that everyone gives me a reaction. Some respond with a deep stare, some are surprised, some smile, some say hello, and some give me cold eyes of disgust. But, a reaction is definitely something I have come to find from everyone that passes by me.
The more I've been reading about Jesus (and Don Everts...a wonderful author) the more I understand what holiness really is. To be holy is to be "set apart." Have you ever read the black verses in the Gospels? And, I mean JUST the black verses...Skip over all of the red verses, and just read the black verses. What do you find? You find a bunch of reactions. People are reacting to Jesus. And, for the first time in my life, I understand these reactions.
People react with AMAZEMENT. The crowds were seized by amazement! They all have some type of reaction. Some people worship Jesus, some people fight in unity against Him, some stare, some are in awe, but everyone has a reaction. He is Holy. He is set apart. He is strange.
Here is a taste of some of my favorite black verses...
All the crowds were amazed (Matthew 12:23)
They wer greatly astounded (Matthew 19:25)
They were all amazed and glorified God, saying, "We have never seen anything like this!" (Mark 2:12)
They were overcome with amazement (Mark 5:42)
They were utterly astounded. (Mark 6:51)
They were amazed, saying, "What sort of man is this?" (Matthew 8:27)
Amazement seized all of them, and they glorified God and were filled with awe, saying, "We have seen strange things today." (Luke 5:26)
Wow. What an incredible combination of reactions. People definitely reacted to Jesus. There is just something about Him that demands a reaction. Even today, His name brings so many reactions. When people hear His name, they become uncomfortable, they fall in worship, they detest talking about Him, they love to hear His name...what an incredible Man. What an incredible God. What an incredible Man and God. That's a pretty amazing concept also...
Pretty much everyone I've talked to here has commented on my skin. They comment on some disgusting follicle of bacteria and dead materials. Weird. Some people say "You are beautiful" Some say "You are so strange looking." Here in Haiti, I am definitely set apart. I am so different here.
And, at first, all I wanted to do was hide in a crowd and just be able to watch people, without having them stare at me. However, I see now, that I am so lucky to be a white girl in Haiti. If I want to make a difference in Haiti, being white just might be the best thing for me. People look at me, and are ready to see what I'm going to do. They pay attention to me. I get so many people's fully-undivided attention every single day. Wow. I can barely get the attention of the cute, brilliant boy who I have a crush on!! And, here I am in Haiti, and everyone gives me there attention. What a gift this is! I see know how effective Jesus really was! He was Holy. He is Holy. He will always be Holy.
Just now, I am typing my blog, and there is a guy about 23 who works in the internet place. And, he is so fascinated with my skin that he's been watching me type this entire blog. I let him watch because he knows no English...He then asked me to translate a sentence for him...and guess which one he picked "The crowds were seized by amazement." Even in the internet place I can tell someone about Jesus!! Wow! God, you are so good.
God, You are so good.
Honestly, yesterday I didn't really believe that. I've been going to church in Haiti for 4 weeks now. And, I'm just not feeling like it's Christianity. One church I went to had a book in its Bible that was definitely not in my Bible. It was after John, and it was entitled "Jack." You know the common New Testament books..."Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Jack, Acts..." What?!
The other church that I've been to 3 times now was awful yesterday. I took Mathilde (the French girl who teaches at Ma Petite Ecole) with me...the first two times I went, I really enjoyed what the pastor spoke about and the music was incredible. Mathilde hasn't been to church for about 9 years, and has a lot of bad opinions about Christianity because of people she's met and how they've showed her "Christianity." So, I was really looking forward to showing her a taste of Jesus.
Well...the pastor talked about the model church and how we were to follow it today. Great topic, right? Well, his opinion of the model church was that women did not wear pants. Yes, I am serious. He talked about how awful it is that in France and the USA, women wear pants in church. He said that these churches were going to hell. Oh my gosh. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Jesus does not care about what you wear. He cares about your heart and your relationship with Him. Well, Mathilde being a liberal feminist was enraged by his sermon. And, I couldn't help but be disgusted at the Christianity I was trying to show her.
We got back to the house, and I talked with her about some truths in teh Bible, and explained that Jesus did not come to the Earth to tell women to wear pants. I told her about Church Under the Bridge (the church I proudly go to in Waco, Texas) People there wear pants, wear pajamas, wear huge hats, smoke, get their hair cut, sit on the floor, stand up, haven't showered in days, just showered that morning....whatever. They come to worship the Creator of the World. Not to show off their new dresses or skirts.
In the end, God was good yesterday. It just took me some serious prayer and patience to actualyl see it.
My friends from Baylor are amazing. They made me this keychain type thing full with postcards for each day that I am in Haiti. And, on each postcard they wrote a quote of some type. Every day I look forward to my Christian Fellowship. I need it. I adore it.
Well, yesterday's quote was "God is good." And, this morning's quote was "God is good." Thanks, you guys. I really needed that.
Next Sunday, I'm going to go to a different church. Please pray that I can find some sense of Christian community. All I want is people to talk with about Jesus. I just wat to talk with someone about the beauty and the simplicity of Jesus.
I've actually had some great times with Makendy (the 16 year old orphan who lives in the house next door) about Jesus. One time we were outside looking at the black sky and the briliant stars. I just told him how much I loved Jesus and how amazing it was that God created everything. Makendy practices a form of Voodoo, so he was pretty confused by my words...but, I think he sensed my joy and I think he yearns for it.
Religion in Haiti so far has been so interesting. There is so much need for Jesus. It's really that simple.
And, isn't that the message of Christ. We are in such need of Him. All of us are. Whether we have $100,000 a year salary and have a great boat or whether we live in the tin roof house on Rue La Croix in Leogane, Haiti. We are all in desperate need of the Holy Jesus.
Thank you for Your Holiness. How I long to be Holy.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
Holiness, Holiness Is What I Long For...Holiness Is What I Need.
3 comments:
If holiness means "to be set apart", then the question that is begging to be asked is "in what way are we supposed to be set apart?"
Of course your color sets you apart in Haiti, but what about when everyone looks just like you. What is it that should set you apart?
I have some thoughts, but think about that for a while and let me know.
megan, you are awesome. i think about you always.
Mega, I love your insight in to this topic. You are learning so much and I thought you were there to teach! I am learning from you too.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment