

I'm not sure I have a good understanding of religion in Haiti. I understand what the CIA has to say in its Factbook...but, the reality is still unclear to me.
First, all of the taxis and buses (pick-up trucks with dozens of Haitians piled in!!) all advertise the Glory of Jesus Christ and the Salvation of God. Every truck has some religious message to send. They glorify the sacrifice, live, and death of Jesus on the sides of their cars!
However, I am skeptical of the reality of these messages. I read once that Haiti is 90% Roman Catholic and 100% Voodoo. This is a very interesting, and humourous, statement!
I researched that stat a little and discovered that many Voodoo gods are actually Catholic names...such as Mary, Jesus, Paul... For every Catholic Saint there is an equivalent Haitian Voodoo god, with the same name.
So, the conclusion that could be made is that this ultra-religious appearing country actually embraces the falsehoods of Voodoo and not Christianity. The challenge now arises when you ask someone in Haiti if they know Jesus Christ, everyone will say yes. However, is this the Jesus that Christians embrace??
Well, today I went with Mackenzie to a choir practice for a local church. It was a small room with about 20 little kids. And, the songs they were singing were so beautiful and pure. They sang some in French (which I could understand) and some in Creole (which...well...I'm working on...) And, I really think they were singing about the God I know. It was such a refreshing time for me to be around people who could sing praises with me. I sang with the kids and some of them laughed at me...they all smiled at the least!
I'm really struggling with how to approach this contradiction. Many of the Catholic churches are infliltrated with Voodoo ideas and the culture has taken a forward placement in many of the churches.
But, isn't this what we do in America?? Our middle-class culture often overpowers the basic message of Jesus. We are so blinded by money and things and our ideas are so often because of our culture and not because of Christianity.
So, what makes us different than the Haitians? We are all grappling with the simplicity of Christ against the loud and vivacious cultures in which we live in.
Tomorrow, I'm going to go to church. I'm really looking forward to hopefully finding a glimpse of the Christianity I know and adore.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
This Little Light of Mine...I'm Gonna Let It Shine!
4 comments:
God bless you Megan!
We will be praying for you as you wrestle with these questions about Haiti. In a gesture of solidarity, I too have many of the same questions of the States. To make it easier I thought I would answer your questions(of course I'm being facetious, in part):
1. Yes
2. Most likely
3. Not much except for race, nation, and polotics
Thank you Jesus for your limitless grace for people who don't always/ever fully understand your grace.
-brandon mick
Megan, Megan-----what can I say????Your faith is so pure and so real---I hope you can make some sense of the culture you are studying! You will, FOR SURE, be a messenger of God, and surely SOME of the people you are working with will hear your message!!!! My ABF class was so interested today in hearing about you.
When do your classes stare????
Love you lots and lots!!!!
Grandma
Megan
I am praying for you daily and now I know a little better what to pray for. Your analysis of their culture and correlation to ours in uncanny. The USA is not that different from that perspective. I love your pictures. They are so beutiful as if they tell a story. You are so talented. Love, Dad
Gallant!
I remember you talking to me about this when you visited Luther... and I still agree with you. This statement rings very true: "We are all grappling with the simplicity of Christ against the loud and vivacious cultures in which we live in." Well stated.
I am praying for your safety and your ministry among other things. I love and miss you dearly!
Goofus
Post a Comment