Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Makendy


There are about a dozen people who live in the house I'm staying in, and there are about a dozen stories as to why each of them are residing there.

Makendy (pronounced Mackenzie) is one of the stories I first heard about. He is an orphan boy about 16 years old who Yoleine adopted. She was by the sea one day buying fish and she found Makendy. His dad died and his mom, who had too many children to handle, had left him. Yoleine heard his story, fell in love with him, and searched out his mom to ask if she could adopt him. She, happily, agreed.

Makendy is quite the kid though. He seems to always be getting in some type of trouble! But, he is so dang cute. He's a total flirt and I just adore the kid!

So, during the day, I really have no idea what to do with myself. So, I found a friend in Makendy. We've had such a fun time!!

We cleaned the upstairs of a restaurant yesterday. It was sooo gross though! There were bugs crawling from every nock of the building...urg... I had a pair of gloves so I told Makendy we could share them... He said "No! I'm Haitian. You're white! Use the gloves." Haha.

I feel like he is kinda like my watchdog. He's very concerned that I'm not hungry, thirsty, tired, or uncomfortable. It's funny.

Makendy is very competitive though. And, sometimes he is a total punk. Almost every day we play soccer. (Allie, the balls you gave us are a total hit!!!) However, he always calls faults and penalties and is the first to call a goal "No Goal!" if he thinks it was somehow unfair. I just laugh at him. He's pretty good at soccer though, and I think he knows it.

The other night I was talking to him, and he told me that he's always been a problem...that his whole life he's caused problems. I felt so bad for him. He's got such a great heart, but sometimes I think he's just a little immature.

Lyrics I'm Humming:
Macarena (It was totally on the radio during dinner!!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love to hear from you, always! "Mac" sounds like a very interesting young man. What does he do other than what you've told us??? Does he go to school??? Does he have a job????? Does he know any of his siblings????
When do you start teaching???
Be careful----always!!!! Stay in your territory and with your friends!!! Love you lots---Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg! So, this work that you went down there to do in the first place...when does it start? haha. I am so thrilled that they are making good use out of the soccer balls! We thought they would. I connected with you when you said you cleaned part of the restaurant. It reminded me of cleaning Grandma's basement a few days ago! Well, we miss you here!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a friend indeed. You each have something to offer the other. You have a wonderful opportunity to show him patience, love, and grace. And he's got your back in a strange and foreign land. God's blessings on you Megan. Abbey and I are praying for you.

-brandon mick

Anonymous said...

It nevers ceases to amaze me where, when and how we make friends- they can come from the unlikeliest of places or with the most unsuspecting of people. Glad you're having fun, though we miss you! Heather L.

Anonymous said...

It nevers ceases to amaze me where, when and how we make friends- they can come from the unlikeliest of places or with the most unsuspecting of people. Glad you're having fun, though we miss you! Heather L.

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg,
Can you read your email if I email you to your Baylor address? I have info to share and don't want to put it in your blog! One tidbit.. we were all invited to a family shower Marilynn is having and I said we could not come since you are gone, Allie will be in Wisc and the day of the shower is the day my center opens.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan! I am so excited you are making new friends! It's been really hot here, but I get to play in the pool, and it makes me think of you sweating all the time. What do you do to cool off? Do you think you're adapting to the heat?
Love ya!
Adrian :)

Anonymous said...

We are praying for you every day Megan. What a wonderful thing you are doing for the children in Haiti. We are friends of your Grandma and the grandparents of Brian, Matt and Andy so we feel like we know you very well. We are enjoying your comments. I loved reading which songs are going thru your mind. May God bless you and all your good works. Don and Carol Sweem

Megan said...

Yse Mom! You can email me!!

Anonymous said...

Megan-
LOVE reading your blog! Sounds like the people you are with are great! Keep the info coming and be careful!

Love ya-
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Do you have a picture of him? He sounds very interesting. It is sweet of him to "look out" for you. He must have a good heart down deep that yearns to be brought out. Maybe the HS is working on him. I'm praying that He can impact this boy through you. I'm so proud of you Megan, and the woman you have become! You are amazing! I love you lots and lots.

Megan said...

I can't even begin to count how many times I've tried to write a post, and I've lost it because the internet died! I'm writing one now...but I thought I would leave a comment just to say I'm trying! And, I have so many great photos I want to share...it is just close to impossible to upload them...I love your comments so much. They have made me laugh and tear up many times.