This means no school, no work, and there is lots of celebration. The night before the Fete de Dieu, the neighbors across the street began this crazy regime of decorating. There entire house suddenly was covered with blue and white blankets, streamers, paper, and many other creative forms of decor. They set out a beautiful pathway of sugar cane heads along side the road and by their front door. I wasn't exactly sure what they were decorating for.... but, it was beautiful. The family worked well into the blackness of night cleaning the trash from around their house. They swept and cleaned like crazy.
Well, Thursday morning around 7:00am I heard the most beautiful noise. I was not being waken up by a rooster crowing, but by singing! And, Haitian singing is nothing like American singing...Haitians sing with their nose, and they sing soo passionately. They sing loud and off key...but, at the same time the sounds are so in tune and wonderful.
I threw on some clothes and rushed out to the balcony. And, the sight I saw was so unexpected. There were about 200 people crowded around the neighbor's house singing praises to God. Some people were dressed in their Sunday bests, some ladies wore great hats, some people wore tshirts, some wore sandals, some wore no shoes. It was sure a Church Under the Bridge sense of worship. People were dressed as they could. It was such a pure praise too. The songs were sung with their hearts.
After about a good 30/45 minutes, the huge crowd moved on down the street...I think they were going to another house.
I later found out more about the Fete de Dieu. People start at their church in the morning, and then walk to different houses to worship and sing. Wow. What a beautiful representation of Jesus' life.
When the crowd left the house, the sight on the street was wonderful. There was a huge heart drawn on the ground with chalk-like material. There was also a great crown of thorns (which could have just as easily been a sun) drawn on the ground. Wow. What a beautiful sight.
Well, as the day went on the crown of thorns painted on the street was trampled. With the many cars, bikes, and people eventually the crown disappeared. How similar is that to how so many people treat Christ. Our own selfish lives can so easily destroy something so beautiful. We go about our daily lives sometimes so unaware of what beauty we might be missing.
God and I have had some hard conversations here. He's been showing me a lot of Truth and that has confused me so much. But, I feel that He is holding onto my hand so tightly here. I'm seeing somethings in my life that are just so ugly. It makes me appreciate and understand the grace of God. Grace is a concept I don't think I pay enough attention to.
Grace.
There is a Creole/French saying that is "grace a"....this means "thanks to..." For example, you would say "I got this meal "grace a" my family." What a great translation of the word Grace.
Grace. I still don't think I even understand the pure power behind that word.
Lyrics I'm Humming:
I'll Fly Away
6 comments:
Megan, I love your analogy with the crown drawing being worn down, and how people are with God in their lives. As I've been reading your blogs I'm realizing how similar cultures are to each other. We may be more technologically developed, but we are still lacking a consistent soul development. Keep the thought provoking stories coming!
Love ya!
Adrian :)
Hey gorgeous!
I was so encouraged "grace a" what you said. I am so glad God has given you time to think so much down there. I think you will have no problem writing a book...hehe. I miss you dearly but know i am always thinking of you and praying for you! P.S. will you pray for me...i was broken this week which is good but scary but i don't think God's done yet. Love you!
Ally
hey megan,
i'm here in Valentine, NE. we start kids club tomorrow for parmelee. wish you were here.
man, would i love to talk to you about the things you said about the trampled crown and grace. i had such similar reflections around easter here in the states, it's crazy.
basically, I tried to conceptualize what went on between Good Friday and Easter Sunday, the first time around. I woke up thinking about this on Saturday, but by 10 am my life got in the way. I forgot what I was doing. I forgot that we had just celebrated Christ's death and were awaiting celebrating His ressurection. And it hit me as I thought about it. Life went on, the way it always does. Sure some mourned, some were overjoyed (a thorn in their religious side had been plucked out), some anxiously awaited, but for most life went on. And that's what makes the cross of grace so wonderful. Sure the crown gets trampled under foot. Of course it does, thus the very need for it in the first place. Isn't it beautiful?
God bless you,
brandon mick
Megan
In a way I am sad to hear your story about the crown being trampled. It is too close of a reminder to me that I do the same thing. I am so excited about the time you have to focus on the Lord and focus on what He is teaching you. You are so blessed! Lawerence Liptak made a post on your previous blog. I do business with his company in Cleveland. They are very sucessful. He is a cool guy. Despite tempations that I could only dream of, he is living for the Lord. He is going on a mission to China shortly and needs prayers. Love, Dad
Megan, Megan,
You have such depth-----and somehow, you are bringing that home to all of us. I love you lots and I hope God chooses you lead the multitudes to know Him better!!!!!
Grandma
Hey Meg! What a cool party these Haitians have! We should do our own version here in the states. You could play the guitar, we could sing, and go up and down our street. It would be fun! I love your analogies to real life. They cause your readers a lot of reflection. Keep cherishing your experience and don't let any moment pass you by!
Post a Comment