Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ma Petite Ecole

So, I've officially been a teacher in Haiti for two weeks now! And, I love it so much. I really feel like I thrive in that atmosphere...I can play mom, I can be creative, I can organize, I can lead, I can laugh, I can be laughed at! I look forward to planning for the classes just as much as I look forward to teaching the classes.

The kids are adorable. The class ranges from ages 3 to 10...yep...ages 3 (can barely talk!) to 10 (working on multiplication)...It's been such a challenge to teach to this huge of an age gap. I feel like the material is way too hard for the little kids, but way to easy for the older ones. (Mathilde (the French teacher) and I decided to split up the class into "petites" and "grandes" This, means more work for us, but a much better experience for the kids!

Each day we have between 30 and 40 wild, energetic kids. All with crazy huge personalities!

I sing with them! I dance with them! I have them write! I read to them!

At first the kids were definitely scared of me, being white. It was interesting the first few days. Some of them would call me racist names, and I would politely tell them..."No, my name is Megan." I don't think they did it out of hatred...just out of ignorance and surprise to see a white girl.

Well, now, things are so different. The kids are wonderful. Some feel like my kids, some feel like my little brother or sister, while others are more like a little friend.

There are so many personalities that just make me smile. Sometimes, I'll just watch the kids and a huge grin comes across my face.

There's Kedjen (pronounced Keggie)...And, she's pretty much Allie Rapp when Allie was 5. She's crazy! She's always looking to get into a little bit of trouble, and her smile is just to die for. She'll run off and hide, but when you find her (expecting to scold her for leaving the group) she gives you this smile that just makes your heart laugh. She's missing one of her front teeth, which just makes her all the more cuter! Today she was wearing a cute little sweater vest! I almost died when I saw her!!

There's Wendy. Wendy is 3 years old, and he never talks. He is so cute, but doesn't even open his mouth. He's clumsy and he falls over and trips on pretty much everything in sight. However, when it comes time to dance, Wendy has the most incredible sense of rhythm! Haha! So funny! He has this really cute little dimple under one of his eyes, oh man!! It's so cute!

The teachers, unfortunately, are a different situation. Bernadette and Nicolas (who live with us in the house) are the directors, and they are amazing. But, there are about 5 other teachers, who are just not the teacher type....They come late, they leave early, sometimes they don't come at all, and when they are in the classroom, they act as if they have no idea how to control kids or help with the class.

It's interesting, because when I heard I was going to be "teaching" the teachers at the school (Ma Petite Ecole) I kinda laughed, because I knew that in reality they would actually be teaching me...I have no experience or training in how to be a teacher.

What I overlooked though was the amazing education I've been given. I just immitate great teachers here in Haiti, and I have no many role-models to follow. It's so sad to see the education system here in Haiti. Even in the little class, the kids aren't expected to write. Well, Mathilde and I decided (very firmly) that we would have the kids write daily. Some of the teachers argued saying, "some of the kids can't write yet..." Well, Good! That's what Mathilde and I are here for! But, what an interesting mentality. They can't write yet, so let's not teach them.

Reading and writing are so basic to me. They're essential to functioning in the world. Imagine your daily life without the ability to read or write. You wouldn't know how to read the instuctions to your medicines, you wouldn't be able to write an email, you wouldn't be able to read the signs in the grocery store...wow.

I also really want to empower these teachers at Ma Petite Ecole. I want to leave in August knowing that I helped foster a relationship between a student and a teacher. That will continue. That will make the student want to come back. If the kids only attach themselves to me...what good does that do? I am leaving. It's such a reality. I hope that I can help encourage the teachers to interact with the kids and challenge them...

You know..."If you shoot for the moon, you might miss it...but, at least you'll be landing in the stars..."

Today, we took the kids on a little field trip. We took a tour of the public buildings in Leogane. Very interesting. We saw the police station, the courthouse, as well as other popular spots. The buidlings were pretty much shacks with very little security or organization. There were some men in a cell in the police station. I saw a UN man from Guinea and talked with him about his work in Haiti. Interesting...

If you have any fun ideas of games, songs, crafts, or activies with kids, I'm all ears! I would love as many fun ideas as you guys have!!

Number of Bananas Eaten: 46

Lyrics I'm Humming:
London Bridge Is Falling Down (I sang it with the little kids today!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Have you played duck duck goose or simon says yet? Heads up 7up? hmmmm...This ones for you...you know the song Jesus loves me/amazing grace/alleluia. The one we loved when lindsey sang it at Phi Lamb...i figured out the chords...D C Em C. hope those work! I love you! Bye
Ally

Anonymous said...

Megan---what a delightful teacher, companion, friend, mentor,motivator, leader, learner, and granddaughter you are!!! I'm sure you are loved almost as dearly in Haiti as you are at home----and that's LOTS!!!! They must love you with all their little hearts!!!!! We do, too!!!!!!
For all of my teaching years, I am at somewhat of a loss as to ideas to give you. You seem to be doing a wonderful job and yes, the age difference is somewhat of a challenge. Keep them writing and reading---you are right---that is soooo important!!!! And so are your songs and your dances and your smiles. I'm reading a book called "Learning Is Not All In Your Head" and it tells about the importance of physical activity in the learning process. I am going to call Lola Mapes---always our teacher savior---and ask her to read your blog and offer some of her wonderful ideas to help you out. She is the BEST!!!!!
Love you lots----
Grandma

Brandon Barker said...

I am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Megan, I absolutely love reading your blog. Hope all is well, you are an awesome young woman!! See ya when you get back!

Anonymous said...

Megan-
You do such a great job of describing your life in Haiti! Thanks- it is so interesting. We will all be thankful when you get home safely but what an amazing experience you are having! I am sure the kids love you and are so glad you are there.

We will miss you at the 4th of July festivities- will see if we can't win you a stuffed animal or two at the carnival!

Love ya lots!
Debbie and Christine

brandon said...

Hey Megan,

Thanks for all you are doing. We love hearing about your adventures and the insights that follow. We rejoice along with the hosts that have gone before you in Love, that you are exactly where God would have you, doing exactly what He has gifted you to do.

Oh, and if you haven't heard about our week on the "Rez", I posted @ brandonandabbey.blogspot.com and Jake posted @ myunderground.org. Check them out.

Shaloam