Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Metro Mayhem!



So, I love the Metro in Paris sooo much! I take it all the time and there have just been so many hilariously awkward things that have gone down in the Metro!

Well...a monthly Metro pass is 51.50 euros...which is about $70! Ouch! You can use the pas (called a Carte Navigo) on the buses, RERs, and the Metro...well...I decided the month of December I was not going to purchase a new Carte Navigo. I would just buy single tickets as needed! (One ticket is 1.40 euros)

Well...I have found myself illegally on the Metro and the buses a few too many times these past 7 days of December! Whoopsie Daisies! All you do is just say to the person in front of you (entering through the Metro pass thingies) "Est-ce que je peux passer avec vous?" Which is...Can I pass with you??? And, the person says yes and you just pass together! It's kinda nice!



Or...you just pass with your friend! (See picture below of me and my sweet Italian friend, Francesco...this is on Metro line 5 after I passed with him!)

Well...this is all fine and dandy...unless you get caught by the SNCF*! Eiks! And, that's a hefty fine on the spot of 70 euros...which is about $85! So...as of right now...I've decided that I need to stop sneaking on the Metro and just pay the 1.40 euros. : ) Ok fine...maybe I'll stop tomorrow...

But...I do love the Metro...There are just so many funny times on it!



There's one station: Montparnasse-Bienvenue...where there is this crazy fast walking path thingie (I really don't know what you call them). They're in airports and stuff where you just stand instead of walking and you go fast...

Well...at Montparnasse, there's a really really fast walkway thing! (You really don't go that fast...the SNCF just hypes it up as a really fast, awesome thing!) There are these crazy roller things that "get your speed up" and "slow you down" at the beginning and ending of the ramp. And, they're crazy! I (as well as other French folk) fall all the time on it! It's soooo crazy! You have to stand really still and the little metal things kinda roll your feet around. It's soooo weird! (See the picture above of me! I'm on the rolly-thinger)

There seem to always be people on the Metro who "entertain" those on the same car...in attempts to make some extra moolah. Well...I've decided that I think I should do something to make a little cash on the Metro. I was thinking Christmas Caroling...hmmm...I don't really know though. Let me know if you have any ideas!

The funniest people seem to find themselves on the Paris Metro. It's such a sweet melange of folk!

Fun Highlights Lately:

1.) "Do you speak English?" ridiculous advertisement! They're advertising this Wall Street School to learn good English! Haha! It's just so funny and stupid! But...supposedly it's 97% guaranteed! Haha!



2.) This guy the other night was talking to me about his high-top shoes. Haha. It was such a weird conversation!

3.) These two guys were laughing at me and my friend because we were just being stupid...I was like "Oh well...we'll never see them again!" And then...we were on the same car on the same Metro later on in the evening! Haha! What are the odds?!

4.) I felt this guy petting my hair...I was like "what the heck is going on..." It was really unnecessary. And, pretty hilarious! When I turned around to see if there really was some guy petting my hair, he asked me for my phone number...I definitely exited the Metro as soon as possible!


*Basically the Metro Police. And they were really ugly forest green uniforms! Eiks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I speak English. Wall Street English.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got of the metro ASAP and please do not Christmas Carol for money on the Metro! This is "mother talk".

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

And I agree with yourMother!!!!! Why don't you take a bunch of bookmarks with you and try to sell them---you might make a little $$$$$$$$$$$
I am anxious to hear about Prague!!!!!!!!
Love you lots-----
Grandma

Anonymous said...

megan.

you are hilarious. i read your comments on jakes flickr. you might be one of the funniest people i have ever met. no contest. well, i guess there IS a contest, but let's face it...i think you're going to come out above thomas.

Anonymous said...

hummm make money on the metro huh? When I was a kid, I sold amunition on the school bus to and from school. 22 long rifles and 410 shells. Maybe you could try that. Well, maybe not such a good idea these days. There must be a good demand for those small Eifle tower statues. There are lots of people selling them. Try that. Could work. Yea, the metro is pretty cool. Mom and I had fun running around Paris on it. It is pretty confusing unless you have an English speaking guide (M.A.R.). See you soon.

Anonymous said...

At least it was a phone number, not a marriage proposal. Have you had any of those yet? I always found in Central America that the long bus rides were when the guys came out and asked me to be in their movies and run away into the sunset for a sweet, wonderful life together. Um, no thanks.

I love hearing your adventures, especially with the guys looking at you weird and never thinking you'll see them again. Hysterical! Can't wait to see you!

Jennifer