
I can't believe I'm leaving for Haiti on Monday. I am getting incredibly excited, nervous, and anxious.
I guess the part of my preparation that has been the most shocking is how many people have connections to Haiti! When I tell people I'm going to Haiti...after explaining to them that it's not Tahiti or Honduras... I am surprised at how many people have friends in Haiti! I mean with a country the size of Massachusetts, I can't believe the number of people drawn to the beautiful island!
Tonight I talked to a man who has been to Haiti 3-5 times each year for the past 35 years. He's been in and out of Port-au-Prince over 100 times. Now, that's a humbling story. He works at a hospital in the Central Plateau and helps with schools, construction projects, and community training.
Here's an overview of what I'll be doing.
I'm teaching 30 kindergarteners English Monday-Thursday from 9am-12. Yep...that's 4 hours with 30 6 year olds! I am so excited!
Then, on Thursday, I'll have a 4 hour class with 5 English teachers helping them with their English and teaching skills. I have a feeling though, these 5 people will be teaching me much more than I'll be teaching them.
Now, I've been asked...so, what are you doing the other 20 hours of the day. Hmmm... Honestly... I don't really know. I guess I'll sleep for 8 hours. 2 hours total of eating. 2 hours of preparing for my class...which leaves me with 8 hours of ??? time. I'm hoping to have a Bible Study, talk with the people I'm leaving with, and spend some great time with God.
But, in the end... I am completely inadequate and unqualified to teach in Haiti. I hope that, at little, I can bring a little joy and enthusiasm to the family I'm living with.
Well...more soon!
*Picture up top...well, I think that's the backyard of the house I'll be living in!!
Lyrics I'm humming:
It is the cry of my heart to follow You.
2 comments:
That's so exciting Megan! Know you'll be in my prayers. I look forward to reading your posts again!
hooray for the return of the posts! i can't wait to hear all about your summer. i love you more than words.
Post a Comment