Saturday, May 27, 2006

Orderly Chaos

Well, I made it. Craziness, but true.

So far my biggest surprise was the amount of oppression the Haitians saw in the JFK airport in New York City. The flight from JKF to Port-au-Prince was in a storage closet type wing. We had to check in in a less-than-standard area of the airport. The security check was completely below any security I've ever seen in an airport...and, I've been in lots of airports.

But, let me tell ya...the Haitians really wanted to pack lots on the flight!! The flight was totally full, and people had soooo much luggage! (Me included!) One lady was even wearing 3 hats so she could have more room in her suitcase!

The flight was entertaining. When we landed in PAP everyone cheered and clapped!! It was way exciting!

I was so anxious...I was excited, scared, nervous...all the above.

Well, the drive from the airport to Leogane was about 3 hours. Ahh! So long and so hot in a small pick-up truck! Two Haitians rode on top of our luggage in the back so it wouldn't fly out! How funny!

Port-au-Prince was interesting. I saw so much polluion. Dead pigs. Hard-working men. Honking horns. Venmdors trying to tsell stuff. So many colors! Lots of noise. No white people.

I finally arrived in Leogane and was (and am) delighted with the town. Wow. Such a green city! There is a coconut and a mango tree in our backyard! The house is beautiful! So much more than I could have expected!! I have a huge, gorgeous room and (for now) my own bathroom with a shower!!! Oh my goodness!! There's a patio outside of my window in my room, and I can see the neighborhood from there! I adore it.

And, there are so many people who live in the house!! I can't keep them straight right now!! But, here are a few highlights!

Grammy: Yoleine's (the director of Neges) 85 year old mom. She is so beautiful and speaks only Creole...so for right now, her and I just smile at each other!

John: A really kind 17 year old boy who has been so nice!

Bernadette: So beautiful!! She's going to be one of the teacher's I'm going to be teaching. She's absolutely gorgoeus and so nice.

Mackenzie: A little orphan boy Yoleine adopted. He lives in the house and is such a little punk! I can tell the adults get angry at him! But, he is way cute!!

Last night in my room I had so many emotions. So, I started crying, then I started laughing, then I cried some more. I can't believe I'm here. It doesn't feel real. But, it does feel right.

This morning I met a lady who is looking for help with a VBS at her Baptist Church! I totally volunteered my time and limited talents! Her and I talked about Christianity in Lerogane and her faith in Jesus. It was totally amazing. It's nice to know a Christian here. She works at the school I'm going to be teaching at.

Well, I'd better go. We're having a big dinner at the house tonight!

Lyrics I'm humming:
If You're Happy andf You Know It, Clap Your Hands!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan!
I love your pictures and stories! What a blessing to get to help with VBS! I can't wait to hear about your first day of school!
Adrian :)

Anonymous said...

My dear MEGAN!

I am so glad you made it safe! Leogane sounds amazing! I miss you but know you are being lifted up daily!

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg! We're all at the lake and missing you but we were able to read your post on Mom's new blackberry. We were all so worried about you and were so excited to realize that we could get online. I, of course, am the one writing because everyone else is so technically challenged! Well, mom, dad, and Kelly are going for a bike ride and I'm about to go swimming with Debbie and Christine. Of course Grandma is cleaning and Bryce is still in his pajamas sitting 2 ft away from the TV watching a war movie on AMC.

Anonymous said...

Hey, that last comment was from me, Allie. This blackberry thing won't let me write much so I ran out of room. Just know that we all love you so much and are so proud of you, the adventerous Christian that you are!

Anonymous said...

Megan, bon jou. como ou ye? mwen bien. Mwen kontan pou ou. Listen, learn, love and constantly pray. I am so excited for you. Can't wait to keep reading your blog. Blessings to you and to all Haitians.