Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Marseille



I just got back from Marseille, France yesterday. It was unbelievable. Marseille is a city in Southern France on the Mediterranean Sea. There are way to many stories and things to tell...but here is a glimpse of the weekend...

-I met my first offical pirate. His name was "Black Cloud." (See picture above) When commencing a little conversation with him, I saw that his mouth was pretty much a dark hole with one large front tooth! Haha! He pretty much looked like Johnny Depp from Pirates of the Caribbean!



-The houses in Marseille were so beautiful. They had so much flavor and interest to them! The whole city was just overflowing with a relaxed, international theme! The people were so beautiful. And, the men in Marseille....oh my goodness. I have never seen so many striking men in my entire life. They all had dark hair, dark eyes, and dark sking. And, their accents where so dashing!




-The Palais de Longchamps (above) was unbelievable! There was a huge, ornate fountain and a gorgeous pond gracing the area. Behind the palace was a huge park for kids to play in. But, it wasn't just a normal park...the park was a huge snake! Craziness! Just one huge, concrete snake that wrapped all around the back of the palace. I seriously felt like I was walking through one of Harry Potter's adventures!



-The sea was so peaceful. I went for a swim in it and just felt so rejeuvented. The water was salty...but not salty like the ocean. It was a smooth, fresh salt. Erin and I saw a few men just drop their pants and hope into the water. I was like...oh my goodness!



-On Sunday, Erin and I went to the fish market! It was crazy! There were so many crazy types of fish!!! And, all of the people selling the fish looked so worn and rugged! What a sweet life to live!

-Saturday night, Erin and I ate Boulliabaisse (which is pretty much just fish soup)...Marseille is one of only a few cities in the world where all 3 main ingrediants of Boulliabaisse can be found! It was sooo good!

-The smells of Marseille were uncanny. It had a fresh, salty smell at first...with an after-smell of a warm, burning bonfire. I can't even explain how romantic it was!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a pirate? that is the best part of the story for me.

Anonymous said...

No joke, that's hysterical, especially the one-tooth bit.

Glad you're laughing your way through France! Oh yeah, and getting some culture too. :)

Jennifer