Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Kind Eyes



I have this goal, here in Paris, to be mistaken...just once...for a real Parisienne. Now this is a hard task given the fact that Parisienne women are a breed of their own. One can look Parisienne by a certain style of dress or by a certain attitude that one walks with...but, the real trick comes when opening your mouth. The second a foreigner begins to speak French, the Parisiens are quick to ask you what country you come from. They definitely know the true Parisien accent. So, as you can see, this is a difficult stunt that I'm attempting to accomplish. (Don't fret, I have protective gear and a fireproof stunt mat.)

I can't even begin to tell you how many people have come up to me asking for directions, the time, or simply if I think rain is approaching! At first, I am so flattered because this person approaching me thinks me to be a Parisienne! But...as usual...I commence my French speaking and they ask me, "Are you from Holland? Are you from England?" And, I have to reluctantly say..."Non, je suis Americaine."

So, lately, I've been receiving countless people asking me for help on the street! Am I beginning to look more Parisienne?? Hmmm...I smile to myself...

I asked my friend Jamiyla what she thought. Do I really look Parisienne? She said....not really, but I have Kind Eyes. At first I was kinda sad that I didn't appear the mysterious Parisienne type...but, after a few shed tears (not really) I realized, I would rather be asked for help because of my Kind Eyes anyday!

It seems that a friendly pair of eyes crosses all international bounderies!

Well...tonight, my wish came true!!! I was on Bus 21 coming home from my class, and I was just chillin singing a little song to myself...when a woman behind me asked me (in French) if I could help her. I, of course, willingly began to explain to her how to use the crazy Bus System. As soon as I started talking, I was just cringing...hoping that she wouldn't spot my foreigness!

Well, much to my surprise, this woman did not ask me if I was from another country! Oh my! What is going on!?! We had a lovely conversation (in French!!) and I helped her off the bus, and was just grinning from ear to ear*!

She exited and I continued on my way two more stops to "Glaciere-Normand".


Mmmmmm....La-la-la-la-la-la-la Life is Wonderful**!


*Annie...remember that awesome musical?!
**Jason Mraz...Mr. AZ. Check it out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's what you wear from ear to ear and not from head to toe that ma-ha-ha-tters. You're never fully dressed without a SMILE.

You don't even have to ask me if I remember Annie! Of course! AND, that's awesome Megan! You are right in your element apparently! :)

Anonymous said...

MEGAN!!!!!!! You DO look like a young Parisian--and you look soooo beautiful!!!!!! And, you found your very own street!!!!!! I am quite impressed that not only could you speak lovely French, but that YOU are able to tell SOMEONE else about the bus system!!!!!!!
Keep the blogs a comin'--------
Love you lots,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

And, I even spelled "Parisianne" incorrectly-----perhaps I should stick to my Spanish!!!!
Grandma

Scot said...

hey megan! this is scott dixon. i saw that you are keeping a blog too about your study abroad adventures. glad to see you are having a great time in paris. there is never a dull moment here in tokyo. i'm not quite as proficient in japanese as you are in french so sometimes things get really funny.

-scott

Anonymous said...

Megan,
I love the steet sign! I hope you continue to have a wonderful time! I just love reading the blog you are writting!

-Katie